Friday, May 16, 2014

Little Theatre Show



Sometimes I start to paint or make a sculpture without knowing what it’s about. And I often think that it’s my hands which know and make without letting my conscious mind in on the secret until much, much later in the process. That has been the case with this series of paintings.

Bird's Eye View
17” h x 21” w, framed
oil on canvas
NFS
What I do know is that I have always been intrigued by the patterns of crop circles and farm fields when flying over the mid-section of the country on my way home from my sister’s house in Colorado. Especially in western Kansas, the landscape is geometric: full of circles, squares, stripes. As my trips are nearly always around the holidays, the colors are usually a mix of snowy pastels.

Avian Geometry II
17” h x 21” w, framed
oil on canvas
$300
There is something that makes my heart beat faster to see the interaction of the natural and the man-made, circular geometries interacting with miles of wiggling rivers or untamable terrain. Pac-man half-circles eating up shrubbery-looking (from miles above) forested mountains.
Camouflaged Paradox
17” h x 21” w, framed
oil on canvas
$300

These landscapes, along with my birds, have become metaphors for an interior landscape representing the tensions inherent in all relationships. The interactions of people unconscious of their effects on others. The push-pull. The give and take. Poking and pestering. Non-stop wood-peckering. 



Pileated 
17” h x 21” w, framed
oil on canvas
sold 
The paintings lead. I follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment