Friday, May 23, 2014

Titles

Writing titles always comes last for me. One of the things to do the night before the show (like now!) Sometimes they are obvious and automatic. Other times, it's a struggle to decide how much to reveal; how much room to leave for the viewer to read between the lines. I always like statements and titles that are more poetry and less postmodern jibber-jabber.

When I'm teaching, I always tell my kids to get their friends to tell them what their piece reminds them of. Make a list of words and phrases and then combine the ones that appeal to them in interesting ways. And that's how I started out myself this time. I began jotting down words and phrases about a week ago and sat down tonight to combine and recombine. I try not to do too much with the thesaurus looking for erudite phrasing, but I do treat it a little like collage. Some words (like intertwining, piercing and appendage) end up cut into bits on the floor, while others come together into unexpected juxtapositions, thus: Avian Geometries.

No comments:

Post a Comment